Hi everyone! For today’s post, I’d like to share this cute duct tape bow pencil case I made based off Paper Pastel’s Bow Pencil Case Video Tutorial. I really liked this project and thought to myself, I wonder if I can replicate it with duct tape! I think it turned out great. 🙂 Make sure you make the case a little wider if you plan to store unsharpened pencils in your case. My case ended up being 8 inches wide and 5 inches tall.
- 1 patterned duct tape roll (I used Duck Tape brand black and white houndstooth)
- 1 solid color duct tape roll (I used black from Alex Toys, it looks and feels like faux leather)
- 1 solid metallic color duct tape (I used a skinny silver from Alex Toys)
- self-adhesive velcro dots
- exacto knife
- Create a 10.5 in. wide x 8.5 in. long duct tape sheet by slightly overlapping five 10.5-in. pattern strips. Try lining up the pattern as you go.
- Flip the pattern side over so the sticky side is up. Start covering the back side in the same way with the solid color duct tape.
- Rotate the sheet so that the strips are vertical. Cut two 8.5 in. x 1 in. strips. Place one strip over the top edge of the sheet and fold over, making sure half is on each side. Do the same with the other strip for the bottom edge.
- Trim the sheet so you have a straight-edge 8 x 10 in. duct tape sheet. Fold the sheet in half so that the bottom trim meets the top trim. I chose to put my pattern side on the inside of the case. You can choose whichever side you like, it’s up to you!
- Cut two 5 in. x 1 in. strips and seal the left and right sides to form a pocket.
- Take a look inside!
- Without cutting from the duct tape roll, start taping the skinny strip to the case about 1/3 from the bottom on one side. This 1/3 will end up being the bottom of your bow. Then, wrap the tape all the way around the other side and bring it to the top. Leave about 5 inches at the top and cut. Fold the strip down to cover the sticky side but fold down enough so that 1/2 in. overlaps with the case. This means that the sticky side of the skinny tape will not go all the way to the top of the solid side of the case. This allows for flexibility when wrapping.
- Add velcro dots to end of skinny tape and to the bottom of the case.
I hope you found this tutorial helpful and that it inspires you in the way PaperPastels inspired me!