Last week, I posted a tutorial on creating a duct tape bow pencil case. I decided to girly it up and add a fan bow on the front and use a red trim with the houndstooth pattern. I’m very happy with how this turned out! I also made this pencil case wider so that it ended up being 10 in. wide x 4 in. tall. The instructions are pretty close to the original but there are some differences. Check it out!
- 1 patterned duct tape roll (I used Duck Tape brand black and white houndstooth)
- 1 solid color duct tape roll (I used Duck Tape brand Red)
- self-adhesive velcro dots
- exacto knife
- Create a 10.5 in. wide x 8.5 in. long duct tape sheet by slightly overlapping five 10.5-in. pattern strips (houndstooth). Try lining up the pattern as you go.
- Flip the pattern side over so the sticky side is up. Start covering the back side in the same way with the solid color duct tape (red).
- Cut two 10.5 in. x 1 in. strips. Place one strip over the top edge of the sheet and fold over, making sure half is on each side. Do the same with the other strip for the bottom edge.
- Trim the sheet so you have a straight-edge 8 x 10 in. duct tape sheet. Fold the sheet in half so that the bottom trim meets the top trim. I chose to put my pattern side on the outside of the case. You can choose whichever side you like, it’s up to you!
- Cut two 8.5 in. x 1 in. strips and seal the left and right sides to form a pocket. Tuck the extra .5 in of tape inside the case at the top.
Now for the fan bow embellishment:
- Create an 8 in. x 3.5 in. duct tape sheet with the pattern on both sides (You’ll use four 8 in. strips total, two for each side.)
- Fold the sheet like a fan and secure by pinching the center and using a small piece of tape.
Back to the pencil case:
- Create a 9 in. long ribbon of the solid color by folding in the edges, keeping the center sticky.
- Adhere the ribbon to the front leaving about 1 in. at the bottom. Flip the case over and secure the bottom part of the ribbon to the back of the case.
- Flip the case back to the front. Peel back the ribbon and adhere the fan bow to the center with another piece of small tape. Place the ribbon back over the case, covering the center of the fan bow.
- Place the velcro dot (soft side) at the bottom of the ribbon on the front side of the case.
- Flip the case to the back side. Cover the sticky side of the ribbon at the top with another piece of tape. Place the (comb side) velcro dot on the underside of the ribbon.
I had a lot of fun experimenting with this project and I think this would be fun to do with your kids or teens.